A Brief History of this Ward
The villages of Clee, Itterby and Thrunscoe can be traced as far back in history as 1086 and the Domesday Book; Oole is later identified in the Lindsey survey.
These villages were small farming communities and in modern terms were based at the following locations:
Itterby: Humber Street – Seaview Street
Oole: Market Place, Market Street and Short Street
Thrunscoe consisted of two small farmhouses, one based at Signhills School and the other at the junction of Oxford Street/ Bradford Street.
In 1616 Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge became the main landowners in the area.
It was not until the late 18th Century when the villages of Clee, Oole, Itterby and Trunscoe began to experience major population growth; the villages took advantage of the new trend in day visits to the seaside and in 1801 had a population of 284 people.
Just 50 years later the population had jumped to 839 people. This may have been influenced by the first Cleethorpes Guide book published in 1850. This would also have been influenced by the arrival of the railway in Grimsby in 1845. It was not until 16 years later, in 1861, when the railway arrived in Cleethorpes.
The coming of the railway proved to be of a massive benefit to the area as it resulted in the improvement of the seafront from a crumbling cliff into the promenade that many of us stroll along on a sunny day.
The Pier was also the result of the coming of the railway. Although it did not open until 1873 it was originally owned by many of the local residents and businesses who had been asked to purchase shares in order to develop it. It was later bought out by the railway company. A serious fire in 1903 destroyed a large part of the Pier.
Many of the buildings on the sea front housed companies of soldiers during World War 1. Redevelopment of the seafront was started in 1938, prior to the outbreak of World War 2.
Information taken from “Cleethorpes – Creation of a Seaside resort” published in 2005, written by Alan Dowling.